For the most part since making the change to “clean eating”, I have been eating such enjoyable food, I haven’t looked back to my processed, unhealthy food habit days once. That is, unless it’s pizza night. The first time I made this, I had to prove it to a family member (no names mentioned) that this pizza crust was in fact made from cauliflower. It is so flavorful and yummy even my very picky kids prefer it to standard flour crust pizza.
Cauliflower crust pizza
- ½ head cauliflower
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp italian seasonings
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- organic pizza sauce & toppings of your choice (I usually use uncured Applegate Farms pepperoni, sautéed bell peppers & mushrooms for the adult’s half, fresh basil and mozzarella cheese)DIRECTIONS:
- To rice the cauliflower, cut florets into chunks and pulse in a food processor until you see rice-like bits. Do not over process, you don’t want mush. They also now sell cauliflower crumbles to skip this step.
- Steam the riced cauliflower in steamer basket for 6 minutes. Transfer riced cauliflower to a fine mesh strainer and drain completely. Once drained, transfer riced cauliflower to a clean dish towel and wrap the sides around the cauliflower while gently pressing out excess water. This drying process is important!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray or use pizza stone.
- In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, 1 egg and spices. Making sure everything is well mixed, place your “dough” on the cookie sheet and pat out a 9″ round. Be sure not to press it too thin as it’s easy to create holes.
- Bake your dough at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Add sauce, mozzarella cheese, and your favorite pre-cooked toppings to your pizza. Place pizza back in oven just until cheese is melted, approx 6 minutes, be sure to keep an eye on it! Cutting & removal from pan work best with metal pie cutter so you can get under the crust & it doesn’t crumble.
I hope you enjoy this family favorite of mine! Bon Appetito! Now the hard part…what movie do we watch?